Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Decor Dilemmas

Hello my fellow bloggers - all of you are such talented designers and DIYers that I am asking for some help from you. If you have been following my blog, then you know that I recently moved into a new-to-us house and I just LOVE it! I am loving decorating it. For the new space, we just purchased some gorgeous (hand-crafted by the Amish) TV stand, coffee table and end table. They will be ready in about 8 weeks and I am so excited!

We purchased them in Brown Maple with a Rich Tobacco Stain. Lemme tell you, it's GORGEOUS. Now here's one of my dilemmas: I went with the brushed pewter handles & knobs, because I tend to gravitate toward that, but now I am looking around our space here in the family room, and I wonder...did I make the wrong choice? It's not like we have a lot (if any!) pewter finishes in here, and the feeling is definitely earthy. It's not too late to change my mind so I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts. Should I go with bronze? I know it's not a permanent thing, I mean, I can change out the handles easily, but I want to get it right from the get-go, know what I mean?

My other dilemma is this - I love love love our fireplace - it's wood-burning (can't wait for Winter) and we love the mantel. HowEVER, what do I put above the mantel? I wanted to have a mirror there, but the one we have is quite large (not crazy huge) and I think that it would dominate most of the space above the fireplace, leaving quite a blank space underneath...because it seems as though the mantel is quite high. What do I do? Hubs isn't much help in either situation (he's leaving it up to me, he says) so I am turning to you, design-savvy gurus that you are. Can you please help me out? Thank you ever so much! Oh, and don't mind the pictures, they aren't exactly picture-worthy, we still have some things to organize. :)

Our Mantel



To the right of the fireplace



To the left of the fireplace(I apologize for the darkness of the picture, it was quite bright out)


3 comments:

  1. I think it will look fabulous! I love the pewter look! I have an award for you over on one of my 3 blogs!
    http://stepherb-weightaminute.blogspot.com/2010/07/motivation-needed.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Elizabeth! I haven't visited in a while. Well, I am not sure what to tell you about the pewter vs. the bronze. I'd have to see the pics first. BUT, if you get the pewter and HATE IT, you could always spray paint them a bronze later! As far as your fireplace goes, I'd try the mirror there, it might look great. Or how about that big picture you have to the right? That would look nice above there. And you could always take that little star that you have on the mantle and use some double sided tape or double sized 3M hook to hang the star in that white space under the mantle. I have a fireplace and mantle and I just bought two new lamps for each end, plus I bought a red clock to put on there, and I have some other knick-knacks on there (a ceramic bird and a little Hummel figure). Topiaries would be nice there too. OR, instead of a mirror or a picture above the mantle, how about a wreath? A nice grapevine one and, during the wintertime, you can put up an evergreen wreath. Well, if I think of anything else, I will let you know. Good luck!
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much to both of you for your input. Thanks, Gloria - for all the suggestions! I was beginning to think no one would offer up some of their thoughts!! :) I still haven't decided what to do with the mantel, but I think I have decided to stay with the brushed nickel hardware on the tables. I think it will be great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy.